Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Sweet Life



This post is a bit impromptu, but like a piece of dark chocolate or a glass of Merlot, I simply couldn't resist.  Ever since we started RR, I've been dying to do a piece on Sweet, my favorite Boston sugar-stop. When it comes to edible excursions, I admit to having a ravenous sweet tooth.  I'm the girl who gets irritated when people casually vote to skip the dessert course at a restaurant and what's more, I'd be completely content to spend the rest of my life eating ice cream as my sole source of nourishment.  But frankly, a sweet treat is all-the-more sweeter due to its rarity.....perhaps that's why we crave sugar.

Sweet is located at 225 Newbury Street between Fairfield Street and Exeter Street.  It's conveniently located just blocks away from my place of employment, so I'm quite a regular.  Sometimes, after a long work shift, you really need a treat.  While most might spring for a beer or a slice of pizza, I'd rather have a cupcake.  Those of you who know me are well-acquainted with my obsession over red velvet cake.  My addiction to this cocoa-cream cheese concoction prompts my mother to make it every year on my birthday; moreover, it  has inspired me to find THE BEST TASTING red velvet cake known to man by means of trial and error.  While this challenge is in fact as daunting as it sounds, living between New York and Boston has enabled me to sample some pretty delicious bakeries including Magnolia, M Cafe, and Buttercup.  My consensus? Sweet's Red Velvet cupcakes are on par with my mother's own Red Velvet recipe.....which I may have to beg her to reveal to you (and will most certainly include in this post if she does).

Anyways, I highly recommend stopping by Sweet.  Upon walking in, its white-washed walls and pastel interior designs literally make you feel like you are stepping inside of a giant cupcake.  The glass display of flavors, I'll say, is something else.  While you will find all the classics including Red Velvet, Dark Chocolate, Carrot, and the bakery's signature Sweet Cake (with a buttercream vanilla or chocolate frosting), you will marvel at the other, seemingly odd flavors such as Bubblegum, S'Mores, Caramel Apple, Molasses Ginger, Cappuccino, Pumpkin Pie, Salted Chocolate, Boston Cream Pie, and Green Tea.  But wait, there's more. Most of the flavors are available in miniature sizes, just perfect enough to satisfy a craving.  It gets even better.  If you just want a tiny taste of something sweet (or it's your second or third dessert of the day), try one of the Frosting Shots - tiny paper cups filled with deliciously rich and decadent frosting in flavors such as Cream Cheese, Buttercream, Dark Chocolate, and Cappucino.  And there truly is something for everybody.  If your dog is looking longingly at your cupcake, get him a Pupcake filled with applesauce and oatmeal for just a dollar.

Click here to get a full look at the menu, which varies by season!

If you are not already hopping on the next T to Hynes Convention Center, I suggest you do so now.  I'm certainly considering clearing my afternoon schedule....

Having a red velvet moment.....

No comments:

Post a Comment