Sunday, October 3, 2010

"I Wouldn't Like Death If Death Were Good"

Fresh back from an incredible evening in Boston's Boylston Theater District, our heads are still spinning with the haunting melodies and rhythmic twangs of Ra Ra Riot.  While our expectations were high, the vote was unanimous - the performance was phenomenal from start to finish.  The venue, The Boston Royale, is a nightclub which every week features an assortment of bands and artists ranging from M.I.A., to Deerhunter, to Steve Aoki, to Jersey Shore's very own DJ Pauly D.  Located on a strip dotted with Boston's most popular hotels, bars, theaters, and concert halls, The Royale allows for an intimate and comfortable concert experience.....quite contrary to the suffocating push-and-shove of the typical live performance.

We started off the night with a tasty dinner at Fajitas and 'Ritas a popular Mexican joint around the corner from The Royale.  Us and a bunch of friends shuffled in from the torrential rainstorm (Thanks, Hurricane Nicholas), looking to warm our bodies with some spicy food and strong margaritas.  We were seated right away, just barely evading the dinnertime rush.  We started off with two margarita pitchers and the standard chips and salsa.  Our chicken and steak fajitas arrived soon after on sizzling skillets.  Overall, the meal was tasty, the ambiance was fun, and the prices were great! In terms of food quality and taste, I have definitely had better Mexican, but this place was perfect for a quick dinner before our final destination.

Gordon, Lesley, and Lucy at dinner.
Jen, Liz, and Hube.  

Lesley and Lucy braved the frigid rain and wind to take some quick style shots. They came out grainy and dark (i.e. "artsy") unfortunately, but the city lights look cool in the back ground.


Lesley wore body con black lace tank under an oversized black J. Crew cotton slip. She layered a vintage Ralph Lauren denim shirt over the dress and accessorized with a wide knit headband from Wet Seal, some funky rings, tall black socks, and  Nine West American Vintage combat boots.
Lucy wore an army green jacket over an edgy lace tank and denim shorts. She finished off her outfit with black thigh high socks and motorcycle boots.
Ra Ra Riot was actually preceded by two other bands: Chikita Violenta and We Barbarians.  We really didn't know anything about the opening acts (Lesley knew a bit more about We Barbarians than myself), and we were short on time, so we didn't end up making it over to the venue until around 8 o'clock.  We explored the ground level of  the building, which actually included a bar segueing  into a hotel lobby.  We stopped for a few quick (and way overpriced)  drinks in the bar before heading upstairs to the "ballroom." There seemed to be a considerable amount of people in the space, but surprisingly, there was ample room to move, walk, breathe and converse.  We weaseled our way to the front by the first song.....it actually wasn't that difficult considering Wes Miles is a Golden God.  

For those of you who aren't familiar with the band, Ra Ra Riot hails from Syracuse, NY.  The 5-member university band formed in 2006, gaining rapid recognition and popularity due to their energetic and upbeat live performances.  The band consists of vocalist (and our future husband) Wes Miles, bassist Mathieu Santos, guitarist Milo Bonacci, cellist Alexandra Lawn, violinist Rebecca Zeller, and drummer Gabriel Duquette.  The group released a 6-song EP in July 2007 and their debut album, The Rhumb Line, dropped in 2008.  Their sophomore album, The Orchard, followed in August 2010.  Read on for our individual reviews of the show, and check out the pics!


Lucy's Review: Ra Ra Riot has been one of my favorite bands for the past two years.  I first heard a bunch of their tracks from The Rhumb Line at work (Thanks Free People!) and knew I had to hear more.  What I love most about the band's music is the purity of sound that resonates through their upbeat rhythms, mixed with the melancholy wailing of the string instruments.  Furthermore, the lyrics are equally quirky and deep.  I had never seen the band perform live, and Lesley (my little Chicagoan concert aficionado) assured me that they were excellent.  I WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED, THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST LIVE MUSIC PERFORMANCES I HAVE EVER SEEN.  Sorry for the caps, but I am still on Cloud 9 after seeing this live performance.   It certainly helped that I was so close to the band, had ample room to move, and was looking straight at Wes Miles, but RRR's energy and passion would have been just as obvious had I been standing a mile away.  The band played a good assortment of crowd-pleasers, opening with "The Orchard," and rounding the show off with "Can You Tell," "Too Fast," "Dying is Fine," and "Shadowcasting." Wes was very attentive to the crowd.....he high-fived everyone he could reach in the first few rows (including us!).  Naturally, the fans screamed for an encore and the band obliged.  Bassist Mathieu Santos returned wearing a Boston Bruins jersey and RRR finished the show with "Massachusetts" and "Run My Mouth." The icing on the cake? Wes Miles threw the band's setlist into the crowd and I CAUGHT IT (well, I like to think that he "handed" it to me).  I think I can speak for everyone when I say, we were left equally satisfied yet wanting more.  If RRR is ever performing the the NY or Boston area anytime soon, you can bet on finding me in the audience.

Lucy and Jen in the front row!!!
Wes Miles - A God on Earth
Wes and guitarist Milo Bonacci
Milo Bonacci

Gorgeous and stylish cellist Alexandra Lawn


Lucy and Lesley - showtime shot!
Violinist Rebecca Zeller

Lesley's Review: I first saw Ra Ra Riot live at Lollapalooza 2009. It might have been the circumstances -- it was a bright and sunny August Sunday afternoon in summertime Chi, and my then significant-other-boy-whatever-he-was had just taken me out on a nice breakfast date to a cute little downtown diner. It was so hot I could feel the sweat dripping off of me, and maybe I was a little delirious from the beer, hand-holding, and heady music festival atmosphere, but seeing the band perform live -- I was instantly in love. And now having seen them again this weekend, I'm even more in love than I was before. I literally teared up when the first bittersweet, shiver-inducing notes of "The Orchard" left the violin and cello on Friday night. It was seriously the most haunting and beautiful sound I have ever heard. They were even better sounding than the first time I heard them, and both times I thought Ra Ra Riot sounded better live than on a record which tells a lot about just how talented this band really is. Song after song I continued to be blown away, both by harmonious instruments and by the sweet voices of the lead singer Wes Miles and celloist Alexandra Lawn. The group's energy was high from beginning to end and the set list was the perfect combination of new material and crowd pleasers like "Too Too Fast" and "Dying is Fine." And the best part about this whole experience? We managed to work our way to the front row. I got to feel the bass in my chest, got to set my empty drink glass down on the edge of the stage, made sex eyes with Wes Miles and got to touch his hand for one second (let's get real, we basically held hands), and managed to snap some incredible photos. Definitely one of my favorite concert experiences to date. So good, I may just become an official groupie.









Alexandra's sassy singing and fashion sense is enough to make any girl want to be her, and any guy want her.

Lesley, Lucy, and Jen smile for a Myspace concert pic.


Loved how happy the drummer looked the entire time.


The back of Jen's head. Proof of just how close we were... she literally was resting her hands on the stage.


Tambourine-playing sex god.


Encore performance.



No comments:

Post a Comment