Friday, December 10, 2010

How to Study, RR Style

Friday marks the first official study day here at Boston College. I'm sure almost half the student population is still in bed hungover from last night's celebrations of the end of classes, and I'm sure the other almost half has been up since 6am and gone to the Plex, done laundry, and is now holed in Bapst with five gallons of coffee, adderall, and a pile of books so heavy, it is threatening to break the table. But if you're anything like us... you're doing neither of these things (i.e cleaning your apartment/dorm to avoid studying, painting your nails to avoid studying, watching Dexter to avoid studying, posting on your blog to avoid studying, and so on).



I don't have an exam until Wednesday, and then I don't have another until Saturday. Between now and Sunday when I leave I have to turn in my creative writing portfolio, but it's already nearly finished so I'm not too worried. I've got my schedule of studying and study breaks already mapped out in my planner for the next week. I've already gotten a bit of a start on my study guides. And I've made this playlist, for myself, and for you, to help you get through the agonizing tedium that is jamming your head with information that you'll make every effort to forget as you kill brain cells this NYE.

This playlist's got a bit of everything on there, but the general vibe is chill... I love dancing to my music as much as anyone else, but the other studiers in the library may kill you if you so much as flip a page too loudly this weekend. So, plug in your headphones, turn the volume all the way up, ignore those page turner-haters, and do not (i repeat DO NOT) take a break until the playlist ends.



Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

And voila! You just got 2, maybe 2.5 good solid hours of studying done.

Assuming you actually stuck to the plan.

Now take a deep breath, get up, take a walk and stretch a little, get some food, socialize, re-activate your facebook to check for important notifications (mainly invites to holiday parties), de-activate Facebook once again, and get back to work.

xoxo Lesley

P.S.: Now that you're settled back in your chair, I'll hand my study guide duties over to Lucy, whose playlist is more than capable of getting you through the next couple of hours:

Okay, after that study break, I hope you've regained some focus and are ready to return to those books.  My playlist, much like Lesley's, has a casual vibe but contains some upbeat classics to keep you engaged and awake.  Let's just say there's something for everyone!

For those of you who know me well, you're aware of the fact that I'm pretty sketchy (i.e. you rarely see me walking around campus).  The reason for my shady ways is actually academically tactical.  I spend most of my time between classes in the Social Work Library (in the basement of McGuinn).  Am I a sociology/psych major? Nope, I just like the chill setting and widely available seating.  If I'm not in McGuinn, you can find me on the computers in the Language Lab on the third floor of Lyons.....if you care to find me.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to hate on O'Neil or Bapst, but whenever I go there I run into EVERYONE and never get any work done.  The same is true for Hillside; unless, hypothetically speaking, you would find it relatively easy to read a textbook in the middle of an African stampede, I don't recommend going there to study.

Lastly, I understand that snacks and refreshments are highly necessary for physical and mental sustenance.  I recommend picking up a baggie of sour candy like Skittles or Sour Patch Kids (they always keep me awake), and large quantities of CAFFEINE (don't forget to hydrate). Good luck, and enjoy the tunes!

xoxo Lucy



Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

No comments:

Post a Comment